Wednesday, 1 November 2017

Realisation...dementia and my mum

Well then, its been some time since I was last on here , yes , there's been alot of changes , and tears. My mum has since had a small TIA, small it might have been , but the impact was a game changer. I spent weeks at mums , encouraging and building her confidence up. She at one point looked feeble and sad , I couldn't believe this was the same person .
  I started as I meant to go on. I meant business , no treating mum like a child , my mum had to regain her dignity ..What did surprise me was the fact that my family didn't actually care. I can say this now, I think I have earned that right . I can't even go into the minor details of this as there are so many of them , It would be justified to say that my brothers and sisters are utter selfish twats , who one day will need the love and support of there siblings. I hope it is forthcoming....
  After frustration and sheer bloody mindedness was overcome my mum and I started to agree on several things. She needed some help , when I left of course ,  we put this to action. We had Intermediate care at the house , mum needed some physio therapy , she also needed an alarm system in case she was in trouble at home, she needed help with at least 1cooked meal a day, not so much because she couldn't attempt this herself. , but because of her Dementia, mum forgets things.
   This all taught me a lot about my mum and the elderly in general, most importantly it taught me about the state of the health care system in this country . My mum had her TIA in August , she is still waiting on her one call a day and were into the 1st November , my mum now has a small heart problem which causes her to pass out without warning, but this makes no difference to my mums actual care what's so ever..I was told that Edinburgh is a large burgh and my mum will have to wait until .........................they have someone to come out, what......say that again....
  Moving on from that any way,, the physio come and walk her outside 3 times a week,, well,, its now 2 times a week , mum joined a group locally where excersize and memory are the topic of the day, she also gets her lunch there, and they pick her up.
  I'm not sure if I mentioned this but I don't live by mum, I live in a different town , Perthshire .My husband is very helpful and cares enough about me to want to help me sort this predicament with my mum. And , I have come to the decision that I don't want to live until a good old age, there absolutely sod all good about it. When I sit alone at home and think about all the old lonely people ,people who nobody gives an arse about It makes me angry and it makes me feel sick to my stomach ..........