Wednesday, 1 November 2017

Family matters...dementia and my mum

I should not go any further until I explain that I now have power of attorney, jointly with my big sister  , it made sense both of us doing this .we hope its in mums best interest, we have nothing to gain from it either . Our only objective is to give mum the freedom to say at home for as long as is possible.
  She is my big sister by a year , she is level headed and were both opposites , this is good for my mum , my sister lives in another part of the country . Between us we manage . Apart from the hearing problems and the heart problems and the Dementia my mums pretty happy, shes a pleasure to help and she never complains or moans , my mum is a polite kind and friendly person overall. When my sister comes to town we have some time out on the bus, usually this is spent visiting my eldest sister in the hospice.
  It would not be respectful at this time to go into detail about this matter ,so I will just move on for the time being.  My sister and I thought maybe it was time for a new Drs appointment , to have mum reassessed , apparently the Dr thinks my mum seemed ok,,,she must be then,  after all ten minutes at my parents home was enough time to decide this . Although on visiting my mum , she couldn't recall anyone visiting her,
  It is not my Intention to demean or belittle any services my mum has come into contact with . After all I myself work in the caring profession myself , I know how difficult it can be to get things moving , but I also recognise poor work and a lack of caring , be it manner or attitude .
 I almost get the sense that my mums only 90 , and they see older people maybe coping better or walking better , my mums never asked for anything in her entire life , shes not even asking for this , we are, is it so wrong of us to want to see our mum who only twelve weeks ago was Independent and coping just fine on her own , to want a little bit help for her when we maybe cant get the time off work or are sick ourselves ..
  Theres people out their getting far more help than we are that are probably just more aware of their entitlements than we are , maybe even less polite and understanding than us.