Tuesday, 21 March 2017

The weeks that followed........Dementia and My Mum

After one DR telling us mum has Dementia and another DR telling us she is simply old we considered power of attorney , for mums benefit , after all she wouldn't be getting any younger . After getting all the family to agree my sister and myself concluded it would be simpler if she and I took on this role. We think most of the family agree with us , theres always the one that doesn't, hay ho.

   We went to work , contacting solicitors , all the family were contacted as well , just to make sure they all were up to date with the situation really. I started going to mums and stopping over here and there a bit more , mostly to see what the situation was , how was she coping and what couldn't she do really. I helped her clear quite a bit of stuff out and gathered together a lot of her papers and any bills .
I noticed mum had loads of Avon , In fact mum had enough Avon to open a shop , she was just on a loop, the book was shoved the door so she ordered from it, the same with her shoes , the catalogue came through the door so she ordered more shoes. It seemed like mum was living in a vortex , purely out of habit , day in day out , same old , same old........
I found to my astonishment mum had shoes all over the house, new shoes in boxes , never worn . Jewellery Items  , five watches the same , five necklaces the same , hundreds of scarves . It felt like mum was being taken advantage off , not deliberately but , nobody was questioning her habits .Most of what I found was brand new and never used , in some cases not even opened . some of the Items dated back to 2008 , that's nine years of just lying there untouched . A lot of the  clothes I found were in a size fourteen , mums only a ten at the most .
  I managed to get some kind of order and went through things with her and finally she agreed , no more Avon  and no more shoes . It would have been the easiest thing in the world to do , just chuck out all mums things but I couldn't , shed spent her whole life collecting and paying for and burrowing things away , it seemed cruel and heartless just to throw it all away . Were all guilty of buying loads of crap we don't need. Mum deserves more respect than just anyone , I think its her right.........