Saturday, 18 March 2017

Dementia and my mum

Around about a year ago on the Christmas morning I looked at my old mum , who is now 89 and I thought to myself "God mum looks dreadful".
I didn't actually know at that time that mum had early stage Dementia , I actually thought maybeee she had taken to many meds and that's what was making her sleepy and distant.
   Mum slept through Christmas day
Awake only to eat her dinner. It made me feel quite saddened as my mum was the mother of 10 children , a strong woman who was patient and caring. Well here she was tired like nothing I'd ever seen before.
  The weeks turned into months and mum plodded along , I started noticing things , little things at first. I noticed she had stopped washing and wore the same clothes , she stopped visiting  her family and sat watching telly...It was time to find out what was going on.......