Monday, 5 February 2018

Dementia and my mum.....Hospital days turning into weeks..

It seems like a long time ago since I phoned the Drs for my mum , she's been on a rollercoaster of a journey , everything moves at a new pace. The physio are a  marvellous group  people ,encouraging my  mum at every step and urging her to be brave . They have to gauge her mobility in what they hear or are told , they do take her to the gym and walk around with her , but , at home people are different , more inclined to do what they want , take risks .
   I really do have my mums best interest at the heart of all this and sometimes I have to stop and think , it would all be so much easier if my  mum just went in a home, 24 hour round the clock care , problem solved .Then I think , well she's happy here in her home, she's familiar, there's all her things.
   Personally , from my viewpoint , looking at my mum , I can't see her being safe at home. I think she's enjoying the whole care aspect, she is prompted at every important moment and someone is looking out for her welfare all the time. She must feel relieved .,
  Imagine for just a moment not being able to remember yesterday,, nothing, but you don't know you've forgotten , because you're not aware that there is a problem, how do you fix what's not broken in your minds eye .We know all these things happen to our elderly dementia patients , but we still don't truly have a plan of action in place. There's no real plan to follow , were all just as confused about the dementia as the person is about the fuss made about them and their memory, not just any memory , but important stuff like time of day ,time to wash , time to eat , time to go to bed .
  Why can't our government start listening to the real professionals , the people on the front line of care. Start building dementia villages , specially adapted places to give a better quality of life to this group of our society , instead of blaming them for all the problems facing the NHS. What an absolute disgrace our government is. Our MPs and heads of government .
  We would rather cover up this lack of care and give it a new name like ,,persons choice or inviting the person to be involved in their journey. What a pile of useless shite...I think if we knocked on every household door in this Great Britain we would be horrified at the lack of care , funding , support and resources actually in place or needed to actually make a step forward. We might even discover millions of more people desperately standing behind these ordinary doors waiting on somebody actually discovering there plight.
  There is an army of people out in the community , not all of them carers , all struggling away , with no help or funding , trying to keep loved ones safe or cared for .unpaid, Myself , I work part time, I know of other in my work place just as an example , who get no real support from employers . Juggling rosters and shift patterns , tired and neglected themselves now , plodding away .,Imagine if one day that small army just stopped , ground to a halt.
   May bee its time to take a stand and force a change in the way people are supported and cared for. What do I know ....