Tuesday, 30 January 2018

Dementia and my mum....Stressful times

My mums dementia is progressing quickly. Still hasn't been formally diagnosed , but its obvious. That's the thing about the elderly , everything takes so long to change or materialise with regards to their care.
  My mum has been plodding along , I fetch the meals , I go on doing all the jobs like showering her , washings ,paying bills the lot. Don't get me wrong , my mum is coping well with the one call a day , but now needs more. She has had several falls and has even been out shopping on her own , us being unaware of this , mum can't even remember any of it.
   I went to mums recently and did all the usual things for her, even took her out for lunch , had a dab time. Later that day mum became quite unwell. She was so unwell I had to call the Drs The Dr suggested we take mum to A&E.  Once there it was obvious that we would be there a while ,,seven hours to be precise. Mum was admitted and was given a bed on the assessment unit ,mum has a bug , which one though.
  Mum was dehydrated and had a urine infection , she was vomiting and had diarrhea . Mum was moved after a few days, five to be precise, to a royal Victoria at the western general . I have to say what a super fab place for the elderly , calm ,clean and spacious .Mums been there a couple of days now and she has since fallen and fractured her pubic bone, she has a whacking huge bruise on the side of her eye and to top it all I only found out last night by pure accident that my mum has a highly contagious bug , called campylobacter. The hospital didn't feel the need to inform us of this.. How bizarre , In fact the nurse said the Dr was a bit over the top . Suggesting we wash our clothes anyway everyday . Never mind the fact I work with the elderly and have a husband with a bowel and gut disease himself. Anyway , enough of all that , mums still in hospital, awaiting physiotherapy.
  I have made it quite clear that if they send my mum home now she won't cope. Not a chance. Watch this space.......