Sunday, 3 June 2018

Dementia and my mum....The final chapters

Well , its been a while since I have been on here , I have good reason ,my wee mum passed away.
  Where do I start. Mum was meant to be going home , which after her home visit just wasn't a good idea at all. The hospital planned for her to go home , but we  weren't having any of that.
After speaking to the senior OT we had a call from the hospital social work team , social worker reckoned that mum was a risk and needed long term care.
  I found mum a bed in a nice home in Perth, she was happy about the move, we'd talked about it in length  over a period of time and it was with excitement that we waited on moving. What we hadnt anticipated was the speed with which it all happened. I went to visit my mum on the Friday around the 4th I think and on the way there I had a call saying my mum was probably in the discharge lounge all packed waiting for her move to an intermediate bed until her bed in the care home became available.
  I was shocked to say the least. On arrival I asked if mum could stay until her bed was ready in the home as I had confirmation of this not one hour before arriving at hospital. Well , it took the ward Clarke in all her glory around 2 minutes to find out if mum  could stop there in the hospital, no was the answer.
  Our great NHS, moving a 90 years old woman , who was no trouble , asked for nothing, 3 fractures
Brought on from falls in their care ,  Couldn't let my mum stop there for 2 more days.
If they had ejected my mum out through a window it wouldn't have felt any worse. Although , I was pleased for her to leave the place. I packed her up and transported her myself .
  She settled in the intermediate care, they all seemed caring and helpful, mum seemed happy enough. She even came out her shell a wee bit . we put her t v in her room and got her a paper every day and left her cigarettes with the staff. mum would be coming to Perth on Thursday at 3 pm, I couldn't wait. S o excited I could hardly focus at work.   .. My phone went around 10am on the morning of the 10th May , mum had a funny turn. She was ok though , the Dr was called. Dr rang me around 11.30 , mum was chesty and her sats were low, she had no colour. 2.10 Dr called me , mum had just passed away. I could not believe it.